Review sites (sometimes called product review sites or Consumer review websites) have been around for sometime.
The challenge is that, some persons do not particularly trust product reviews sites – preferring instead to go with the standard sales pages/pitches of the manufacturers or mega sales platforms/persons.
If you’re in this unfortunate situation, this article is for you.
Here, we’ll discuss why you should trust independent reviews site and why they are your best bet in getting quality products, especially those you have not used and need enlightenment on before making up your mind.
Shall we proceed?
Review Sites: What are They?
Review sites are dedicated websites that are concerned sorely with the publication of product/services reviews.
The reviews (which are the target) of such sites are primarily targeted at serving the consumer market/segment.
Such sites could be general – covering virtually every niche/product line available in the market like this very (Product review) site.
However, other variants of the model could also exist – focusing sorely on a particular niche, product line or class of consumers.
Whatever the model the consumer review site takes, the grand essence and motivation is the same…
What is the Essence/Motivation of Consumer Review Sites?
It doesn’t just make sense to say that webmasters spend a ton of their time reviewing products for others to make the right choices (when they desire to purchase) for the fun of it.
This is so, especially since the business of product review is a very tasking and time consuming one 🙂
Primarily thus, the objective of anyone/entity who/that ventures into the review space is two fold:
- To provide readers with unbiased and objective reviews which are independent of any manipulations of either the original manufacturer or any middleman in-between (so that the very best products are bought while bad ones are weaned off the market, naturally).
- (Though not the primary motivation of many webmasters though): to make a side commission on the recommendations he/she makes – that is, if the reader click through and eventually buys.
This, in smart summary, is the primary reason why review sites exist – and will continue to, and in both the short and long run, flourish.
How Do Review Sites Get their Review(s)
It is practically impossible to pull reviews out of thin air – and publish. That would be completely dishonest and outrightly unprofessional.
However, considering the ton of reviews most of the dedicated product review sites publish on a daily basis, it is only logical to inquire into how their reviews are sought, got and published.
Here is a simply answer:
- Direct product use and experience.
- Aggregation of opinions online (and elsewhere).
Direct Product Use and Experience
The most notorious source of product knowledge for review sites is firsthand information, got from direct use of the products in question.
These products are bought for some other use then reviewed subsequently, are bought and used specifically for the purpose of review or got from the manufacturer for use with the singular intention of review afterwards.
The advantage of this route is that, first hand experience and comments (arising as a direct result of personal experience) is made possible.
Aggregation of Opinions Online (and Elsewhere)
Aside the direct use of first hand experience and knowledge of a product derived from use, there is also another option deployed by business review sites: aggregation of opinions online (and elsewhere).
This method involves scurrying the web (and elsewhere) and picking up both positive and negative opinions expressed about a product.
The advantage of this method is that, reviews written as a result of this approach are more thorough and objective – as intelligence is gathered from a spectrum of opinions and not just a singular experience (that may wind up being subjective).
Which of the Review (Publishing) Method is Best?
None – it depends on the circumstance.
The first option has the advantage of making certain that products reviewed are actually familiar with the reviewers and they know exactly what they are writing about – from direct contact/use.
The second option has the advantage of ensuring that a wider spectrum of opinions are covered – a reality that is clearly impossible with the former option. With a wide array of opinions covered, the fear of subjectivity is completely eliminated.
The best option thus, is to combine direct product use and firsthand experience with thorough research online – and elsewhere. This way, personal prejudices and obvious bias would be brilliantly balanced, for the overall good of the would be consumer/buyer.
Let’s now take a look at the 5 reasons why we believe you should trust consumer review sites (right before your purchase).
5 Reasons why you Should Trust Consumer Review Sites
There are 5 (five) awesome reasons why we sincerely believe you should trust consumer review sites.
These reasons are:
- Consumer review sites often have no affiliation with the manufacturer or marketer(s) of a product. Their opinions are thus 100% genuine, untainted with any self interest(s).
- Product review sites are mostly run by bloggers who are often popular and hold the trust of many. Accordingly, they have a long term reputation to protect. With such persons publishing reviews, objectivity is guaranteed (since they have a ton to lose if they derail or publish nonsense).
- Reviews by consumer review sites are only done after actual use or intelligent and comprehensive research. Accordingly, it is easy to see that it will prove more useful than the sales pitch(es) of the marketer(s) or manufacturer.
- Usually, reviews by business review sites come with alternatives. These alternatives, it must be noted, are very helpful when it comes to the substitutes or when one does not like the reviewed product outright. No manufacturer or marketer will ever offer this 🙂
- Finally, it is worthy of note to point out that consumer review websites are run by consumers themselves who also appreciate and benefit from good products/services while seriously suffering from poor/defective ones – directly. The tendency of review manipulation is thus non-existent.
Having mentioned and explained the 5 (five) reasons why we sincerely believe you should trust independent product review sites and actually put your trust in them, let’s now see if indeed there are any alternatives to getting the exact (and unbiased opinion) of users of a product before buying…
Kindly stay on the page.
Are there any Alternatives to Consumer Review Websites?
Alternatives to consumer review sites are rare – and far between, with a plethora of them clearly unreliable.
However, there is just one (1) option we believe can stand in the stead of (not replace) an independent review site: the review of customers verified by the marketplace where a product was sold or service offered.
On Amazon for instance, such reviews are clearly indicated and labelled as “verified purchase’.
The reason for the insistence on verification is to cut down on the fraud manufacturers and marketers would otherwise promote in order to push a less than ideal product/service into the hand of unsuspecting buyers/clients.
Aside this, no other alternative 🙂
Wrap Up and Summary
Independent review websites have come to stay in today’s world, especially since the internet wouldn’t be going away anytime soon.
As a smart and savvy shopper, instead of doubting their legitimacy and wondering if they’re the real deal, you’ll be better served by ensuring that you read reviews from a dedicated site as ReviewsMimi before you make your decision to buy or not.
Before we round up, kindly understand that review websites are meant to serve your interest and operate as such. Manufactures and marketers primarily serve their pockets – and their pockets alone.
Kindly keep this at the back of your mind.
This website is an active participant in the Amazon Affiliate Program. This means each time you click through an Amazon link on this site and go ahead to make a qualifying purchase on Amazon.com (or any of its affiliated sites), we, as publishers of the site, earn a commission. Note, however, that this does NOT in any way influence the quality and reliability of the information we feature on the site, and it does NOT affect the price you will pay for any product or service. We only use the commissions earned through the program to support the site, so we can continue to provide valuable, unbiased and detailed reviews of various products and services. Honesty, afterall, remains the best policy.