Do you know that, right after a robbery (or an accident), the biggest challenge you’ll ever face while travelling (especially, with public transport) is the fact that you’re always at risk of some form of one theft or the other?
Whether at the bus terminus, airport, seaport or train station; the risk remains the same: no thanks to the increasing crime wave both in the US and all around the world.
Airport theft, in particular, is super prevalent and way more common than you think.
For instance, between 2010 and 2014, the TSA reported more than $2.4 million in missing items at American airports alone with about 25% of these thefts happening at the baggage pick-up areas.
To make matters worse, Daily Mail recently reported that New York’s JFK Airport alone sees an alarming case of more than 200 unique and distinct cases of stolen items from checked baggage EVERYDAY.
This is worrisome, considering the fact that the liability of most airlines to their customers in such sad cases in just north of $1,000 only.
But, what if you have value way more than that in your baggage?
The answer lies in a simple luggage lock that costs only a couple of Dollars.
This article, today, is dedicated to the best of such luggage locks available for the money.
Top 10 Best Luggage Locks Of 2020 Reviewed For The Smart Traveler
Carefully selected and reviewed below are the best 10 luggage locks available for the money today.
Being carefully reviewed, it is both our promise and guarantee that you will not find a better alternative anywhere to absolutely guarantee the safety of your luggage either online or off.
Please, note however that the list and review as a whole is in descending order – with the very best lock at #1.
We’ll however start at #10 and save the very best for the last item.
Let’s start the review process!
10. Sure Lock TSA Compatible Travel Luggage Lock With Inspection Indicator
Most luggage locks today do not have the all important combination of ease of use, practicality and durability as their hallmark.
Fortunately, our 10th choice today has all features neatly packed in the Sure Lock TSA Compatible Travel Luggage Lock With Inspection Indicator.
Powered further by a TSA indicator that lets you know if the TSA has opened your luggage, you’re sure to zoom off home – or to your hotel with the full knowledge that your luggage is in the exact state and condition that you left it in.
This means, peace of mind – and saving of precious time for you.
When the fact that the lock is without actual keys and the combination is COMPLETELY foolproof is considered, it becomes clear the the Sure luggage lock is one of the most impressive locks for your luggage on the market today worth considering when you think of using public transport or securing your personal belongings wherever luggage security is required/needed.
The Most Impressive Features Of The Sure Lock TSA Compatible Travel Luggage Lock With Inspection Indicator
- TSA compliant.
- Smart TSA indicator that lets you know when your luggage has been tampered with by TSA agents.
- Combination lock control: this ensures that the incidences of lost keys is completely eliminated.
- Large dials that power a completely foolproof combination lock.
- Fits virtually all bags and luggage – both big and small.
- The combination lock is pretty easy to reset.
- 100% alloy body that ensures excellent security.
- Lifetime warranty which covers damage by TSA agents and baggage handlers.
- Comes in packs of 1pc, 2pcs & 4pcs.
- Various colors available.
If you wish to take a look at the Sure Lock TSA Compatible Travel Luggage Lock With Inspection Indicator at Amazon, kindly do so – and decide if it is the perfect luggage lock for you directly.
9. Lumintrail 2 Pack TSA Approved All Metal Personalized International Luggage Combination Travel Lock
If you’re a reader who has the firm belief that security is always handled poorly in the country and can be better, out 9th option, the Lumintrail 2 Pack TSA Approved All Metal Personalized International Luggage Combination Travel Lock is certainly worth your time.
Powered with an extra 4-ft steel cable that can further be used to ensure the overall security of your bags or luggage – as you deem fit, this lock gives you the power and flexibility to handle your own travel security in the manner you love; whether it is in ‘chaining’ your luggage together or restricting their overall movement without your knowledge or consent.
Further, the lock comes in actual pairs and a variety of colors, giving consumers the choice to pick a combination that best suits them or a combo that appeals to them most.
The great part, of course, remains the fact that the lock comes without keys and is TSA approved.
This means that, you won’t need to be bothered about lost keys or even the reality of fumbling with them and TSA agents can safely open your luggage and lock it back without the need to break into your luggage or worse, damage your chosen lock.
Isn’t this plain sweet?
The Most Impressive Features Of The Lumintrail 2 Pack TSA Approved All Metal Personalized International Luggage Combination Travel Lock
- TSA approved. TSA agents can easily open your luggage, check and lock back your belonging in a smart and quick manner without any need to damage the lock.
- 4 ft. steel cable for added security.
- Lock is engineered with coated steel construction for long lasting durability and includes a steel shackle to resist being cut or broken.
- Comes in pairs: this ensures that you protect more and if you need only 1 lock, always have a backup.
- No keys; the lock comes with only a combination lock that is easy to both set and operate.
- Various color options to choose from.
If you’ll like to take a quick look at the Lumintrail 2 Pack TSA Approved All Metal Personalized International Luggage Combination Travel Lock on Amazon, go ahead and see if it’s what you’ll rather buy and use.
Who know? The specs and the customer reviews of the product might just convince and convert you in an awesome fashion 🙂
8. Forge TSA Approved Cable Luggage Lock (Editor’s Choice)
The 8th lock on our list of the top 10 best luggage locks for the money is the Forge TSA Approved Cable Luggage Lock which its manufacturer, FORGE, argues that is the most durable TSA recognized and accepted lock on the planet.
Ordinarily, we take all such wild claims with a pinch of salt or at best, take them as mere advertisement copywriting geared towards selling more products and overall, ensuring more revenue.
However, the company gained our trust when it:
- Offered a lifetime warranty on this lock and
- Offered to either refund or replace any customer who was actually capable, in his/her spare time, to hammer away on the lock and break it!
Now, even for the most determined skeptic, these two documented promises by a reputable company are worth taking seriously – and the products they are made for, worth a second look by all means.
Aside these impressive guarantees, the biggest closing deal of this lock is the fact that not only is it TSA compliant, it actually forces TSA agents to lock your luggage back after opening it by trapping their masterkey in the lock and only releasing it upon the actual (re) locking of your luggage.
With this Forge lock thus, you will never have to bother about your luggage being left open again by TSA agents, either deliberately or by mistake.
Remember, these agents are also humans and mistakes or omissions are bound to happen and when they have, are largely excusable – much to both your disadvantage and detriment.
The Most Impressive Features Of The Forge TSA Approved Cable Luggage Lock
- TSA certified.
- UNCONDITIONAL lifetime guarantee (not warranty). This means that, should you – or anyone else succeeds in breaking this lock, Forge will either refund you or replace the lock – without asking any questions.
- Ability to detain TSA’s master key in the lock until the lock is actually relocked. This helps in making certain that travelers who use this lock are not placed at the mercy of the negligence or mistake of TSA agents.
- No key operation: this lock uses only a set of 3 digits combination.
- Various pack types and color combinations available to suit every need and event.
We’re certain you’re dead eager to see the luggage lock that comes with a no questions asked money back guarantee and also comes with a promise that it CANNOT be compromised, under no circumstances.
To to that, kindly click here and take a firsthand look for yourself right on Amazon.
7. Forge 4 Pack TSA Recognized Lock With Open Alert Indicator
If you’re a family person or someone who always loves buying things in bulk either for the ‘rainy day’ or to simply share out to friends and relatives, the Forge 4 Pack TSA Recognized Lock With Open Alert Indicator is the perfect luggage lock for you.
This is because, the locks cannot to bought a piece: it comes in a set of four distinct, badass foolproof units that are guaranteed to protect whatever it is they have been used to lock.
This Forge brand also inspires trust by the sheer fact that the locks are TSA compliant and must be relocked if the TSA’s master key is used to open them for the manual inspection of the content of your luggage, secured with the lock.
The closing deal of these locks however remains the ‘out of this world’ guarantee that the company offers: it makes it clear that it will replace or refund any user who has any of these locks compromised.
Now, who makes such a ‘big’ statement when they are not prepared to stand by what they say?
The Most Impressive Features Of The Forge 4 Pack TSA Recognized Lock With Open Alert Indicator
- TSA compliant.
- Open lock alert indicator that alerts you when TSA agents have opened your luggage to perform their duty.
- 4 units per pack that ensures you actually always have a spare.
- Lifetime guarantee (not a mere warrantee).
- Keyless operation: the lock deploys a hassle free combination lock.
- Multi-color option to suit either your luggage or personal taste.
- Ability to detain the master key of any TSA agent if it it not relocked after opening. This ensures added security and peace of mind for you when you’re travelling public.
If you’ll want to take a look at the Forge 4 Pack TSA Recognized Lock With Open Alert Indicator on Amazon to decide if you’ll purchase all 4 luggage locks, you’re welcome.
Go right ahead.
6. Brinks TSA Approved 22mm Luggage Lock
Not all travelers today appreciate the flexibility of a keyless combination lock when they want to travel.
Some travelers actually hate the combination lock that most luggage locks today feature and would rather not be bothered or tasked with the process of remembering any code or combination for that matter.
For such users, an old school lock with (a) traditional key(s) is what excites them the most and certainly, what makes sense when they desire to purchase a means of securing their luggage while in transit.
If you’re one of such persons, our 6th option, the Brinks TSA Approved 22mm Luggage Lock will make a lot of practical sense to you.
Engineered and offered with 4 solid keys, this TSA approved luggage lock is also ridiculously cheap when compared to the newer locks that are simply powered by a combination of numbers.
The Most Impressive Features Of The Brinks TSA Approved 22mm Luggage Lock
- TSA approved.
- Traditional lock and key style for users who still prefer to secure their luggage with keys.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Travel Sentry approved.
- Solid brass body, enhanced by a chrome plated steel shackle (for enhanced security).
- Works through a variety of luggage types.
Don’t you think it would be a smart and extremely great idea to take a real good look at the Brinks TSA Approved 22mm Luggage Lock, our first mentioned lock with a key on Amazon directly?
5. TravelMore TSA Approved 3 Digit Luggage 2 Pack Locks With Open Alert Indicator
It is not often that you desire to travel more (pun intended) 🙂
However, if you’ve made up your mind to indeed travel more in this particular phase and time of your life, the least you’ll need is good security for your luggage while you globe trot.
Luckily, this company, TravelMore has made that a reality via its range of luggage locks, especially, the TravelMore TSA Approved 3 Digit Luggage 2 Pack Locks With Open Alert Indicator.
Designed in packs of 1, 2s or 4s, these luggage locks come fully approved by the TSA and importantly, are engineered with an open alert indicator to let you know when TSA agents have taken a look at what’s inside your secured luggage.
The best part of the reality of TravelMore locks remains the fact that they also come with a 100% lifetime warranty.
This means that the company is completely prepared to stand by its products – even unto the point of offering no question asked warranties (on the entire lifespan of their products).
If you ask us, only the very best companies dare offer that and only ensure that the offer it on the very best of their products.
Don’t you think so?
The Most Impressive Features Of The TravelMore TSA Approved 3 Digit Luggage 2 Pack Locks With Open Alert Indicator
- TSA approved.
- Open Alert Indicator that lets you know when TSA agents have opened your secured belongings.
- Special high strength zinc alloy coupled with hardened steel shackles and patented internal mechanisms makes this lock completely pick – and fool proof.
- Various pack types and color combinations to suit both your taste and actual need.
- Travel Sentry certified.
- Easy 3 digit combination lock that ensures you never actually need a key again. Ever.
- Lifetime warranty.
Would you want to TravelMore with absolute peace of mind knowing that your luggage is absolutely secured with one of the finest locks money can buy today?
Then, by all means, take a look at the TravelMore TSA Approved 3 Digit Luggage 2 Pack Locks With Open Alert Indicator on Amazon and then, decide for yourself.
4. Forge TSA Compliant 2 Pack Locks With Open Alert Indicator
If you’re been observant, you’ll notice that, the Forge brand has been featured here in more than one instance.
If that got you wondering, here’s the explanation:
First, we’re not affiliated to the Forge brand in anyway.
However, all Forge locks we saw in the market and reviewed in this entry meet the following impressive criteria:
- Are TSA certified.
- Come with a wild – but true warranty that if you can comprise the locks, you’ll be refunded or the lock in question, replaced and
- An open alert that lets you know if TSA agents have inspected your secured luggage (by means of opening the lock).
The Forge TSA Compliant 2 Pack Locks With Open Alert Indicator. of course, is no exception to these impressive and awesome features of the Forge brand.
There is however a difference about this Forge brand of travel luggage lock that is pointing out specifically for your distinct attention: this lock is not a cable lock!
Its locking end is, on the contrary, made of reinforced steel.
In the sad event of an attempted compromise of your luggage, this model will certainly give the less than honest culprit a tougher time than the ordinary models that are inspired by the cable lock system.
The Most Impressive Features Of The Forge TSA Compliant 2 Pack Locks With Open Alert Indicator
- TSA approved.
- Open alert indicator that lets you know when TSA agents have opened your baggage.
- 100% guarantee (not warrantee) against any sort of compromise.
- Detains the TSA key in it unless it has been relocked. This ensures that TSA agents never leave your luggage unsecured either by ommision or commission.
- Key free operation…this lock uses a foolproof combination system.
- Comes standard in a pack of two so that you always have a spare handy.
If you’re a user who loves the luxurious thought of having your luggage secured by one of the most sophisticated locks on the planet which is also TSA approved and forces all TSA agents who open it to lock it back, then, you certainly need to look no further than this lock.
Take a good look at the Forge TSA Compliant 2 Pack Locks With Open Alert Indicator on Amazon and decide, by the sheer awesomeness of its reviews, if it is not the best option for you at the moment 🙂
3. Master Lock 646T Set-Your-Own Combination Luggage Lock
One of the biggest challenges that make travelers hate – and largely ignore most combination locks is the fact that they are, to a large extent, pretty challenging to set to a personalized preference.
Not the Master Lock 646T Set-Your-Own Combination Luggage Lock however.
Possessing the rare ability to withstand ‘physical assaults’ such as sawing and picking, this lock is one of the top 3 most impressive and durable luggage locks of all time.
Powered by a lifetime warranty and the fact that it deploys an easy to set combination options and not the regular traditional keys, this lock is perfect for both the dedicated globe trotter and the occasional traveler who is interested in seeing what the other parts of the world look like from time to time.
A plethora of customers and other consumers before you cannot all be wrong.
Or, what do you think?
The Most Impressive Features Of The Master Lock 646T Set-Your-Own Combination Luggage Lock
- Keyless operation and reality via the easy to use combination lock.
- Extra durable die-cast case.
- Brilliantly fits all manner of luggage and suitcases.
- Comes in packs of either 1 or 2 units.
- Super small – and ultra portable to both carry and use.
- Opens and shuts close in just under 5 seconds.
If you’ll love to take an up-close look at the Master Lock 646T Set-Your-Own Combination Luggage Lock on Amazon, kindly do so.
There, you’ll see exactly why the luggage lock had to come in at our 3rd option.
2. Tarriss TSA Lock
You’ll have to admit, we’re certain, that there is no time that you travel by public transport or lodge in a hotel that you don’t bother about the security of your luggage or the fact that you may soon have to unwillingly part with cash or valuables in the name of theft.
Luckily, our second best lock on the list of the best TSA approved luggage locks perfectly understands the fix you usually face and as relief, has offered the inexpensive but virtually indestructible Tarriss TSA Lock.
The Tarriss TSA Lock is advertised as the last luggage lock you will ever need.
Ordinarily, we are wary of such advertisements for a product and pretty well know and understand that for every manufacturer or marketer out there, his/her products are usually the very best money can buy 🙂
However, after taking a look at the fact that this lock is tough and made of the most durable zinc alloy casing – and further engineered with ultra-strong steel cable, we decided to take a further look at the reviews – and was convinced to personally buy it and test it out.
It completely lived up to its advertisement!
We can thus say boldly – and without any fear of contradiction that this lock is one of the best luggage locks ever made and certainly, one of the most durable and sophisticated.
We say this without prejudice and any fear of contradiction.
The Most Impressive Features Of The Tarriss TSA Lock
- TSA approved.
- No questions asked lifetime warranty.
- Flexible steel cable that works around virtually every luggage type.
- Travel Sentry compliant.
- Easy combination lock reality – no need to fumble with keys.
- 2 pcs per pack. This ensures that you never run out of a backup lock for your luggage should the need ever arise.
Aside the awesome lock, when you buy this luggage lock, you get a free ultimate insider’s guide to traveling through airports.
This will immensely make your life easier especially if you’re new to the reality of air travel. Believe us when we say that, even as professionals who travel a lot, we picked up some new tips and ‘tricks’ when we read this guide.
In particular, here’s what the guide contains:
- How to move through airports faster, cheaper and with less stress.
- Baggage weights and rates for every major airline.
- Sanity saving tips for traveling with kids.
The instruction for downloading the guide can be located right inside the packaging of the lock.
Want to take a look at the Tarriss TSA Lock on Amazon?
By all means, proceed 🙂
1. TravelMore TSA Approved Travel Combination Cable Luggage Lock (Popular Choice)
At last, here is our very #1 best TSA approved luggage lock.
It is not also a coincidence that the very best we have here is from the stables of TravelMore, a lock security company dedicated to ensuring that you actually travel more without a single security worry in the world.
Well, what’t the smartest and surest way to ensure that you actually live the dream and reality of this super awesome company dedicated to ensuring that you actually enjoy every phase of your journey?
If you ask us, we’ll say, it is to try the company’s TravelMore TSA Approved Travel Combination Cable Luggage Lock and see.
We are certain that (along with hundreds of thousands that have found awesomeness and absolute service with this lock) you’ll have no reason whatsoever to regret your decision.
Why are we dead certain?
The locks are acclaimed to be the most durable set of luggage locks ever made available to consumers.
While this claim is quite a tall one, its users (and they are in the hundreds of thousand) completely agree – especially when they compared the lock with other models or brands they had hitherto had cause to use in the past.
Now, what is a better guide than actual hard experience?
The Most Impressive Features Of The TravelMore TSA Approved Travel Combination Cable Luggage Lock
- TSA approved.
- Travel Sentry certified.
- Keyless operation by means of a simple to use a combination lock system.
- Variable colors to suit personal taste or luggage color.
- Comes in an array of pieces per pack. You get to pick up the piece combination that is ideal for you.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Can be deployed for a plethora of use: securing baggage when travelling, securing valuables at the gym, ensuring the security of items of value at the hotel etc.
- Most durable TSA approved luggage lock available in the market.
Want to travel more but are bothered about the security of your valuables while either at the hotel or during transit?
Check out our #1 TSA approved luggage lock, the TravelMore TSA Approved Travel Combination Cable Luggage Lock on Amazon.
The promise is simple and to the point: this is the only luggage lock that you’ll ever need!
What Is A Luggage Lock?
A luggage lock is a form of security for your luggage or baggage when you travel, using public transport, especially, airplanes.
However, they have a wide application and can today be used to secure personal belongings in the locker room, the gym, hotels and just about any where that personal belongings are packaged and secured with a zipper, a suitcase or anything that permits a traditional lock to go over or in.
Coming in various styles, fashions and brands, a travel lock may sport the regular key(s), come powered by a combination lock or sport both keys and a combination lock for added security and overall flexibility.
The grand purpose of a travel luggage lock is to secure one’s luggage/baggage when in transit or wherever else it is used from unauthorized viewing or outright theft.
In its primary role as a theft prevention/deterrent tool, the luggage lock performs excellently and offers security that is unparalleled and right next to nothing!
Why Insist On A TSA Approved Luggage Lock When Buying Security For Your Luggage?
Since the terrorist attacks on the Pentagon and other critical US infrastructure masterminded by Osama Bin Laden in 2001, The Transport Security Administration (TSA), an agency of the US Department of Homeland Security was established and charged with ensuring the security of public transport in the US, particularly air travel.
With this mandate, TSA agents are required to make certain that all luggage/humans billed to be transported via the public transport system in the US, particularly, by air, are certified ‘fit for travel’ or in the case of air travel, ‘fit to fly’.
For humans, an ordinary scan by a machine and further confirmation by manual search is all that is needed.
However, when it comes to luggage, it’s a different ball game altogether: it may be opened and laid completely bare for search – often, without you, the owner in presence.
What this means is that, if your luggage is protected by a lock, these agents will need to cut the lock and damage it completely in the process of carrying out their legal duties.
When this happens, you’re sadly left without security when the search by the TSA is conducted and concluded.
To avoid this challenge, the smartest thing to do is to opt for luggage locks that are approved by the TSA.
These locks can be expertly opened by the TSA using their master key and importantly, relocked after the search has been done with.
This way, your padlock is not cut but opened and locked as if it were you directly operating the lock.
The best part?
You can still operate your lock and use it as if nothing actually happened.
Combination Travel Locks Vs Regular Key Inspired Locks: Which Is Best For You & Your Luggage As A Lock?
There are basically 2 variants of TSA approved luggage locks.
The first is a combination style security lock that basically deploys the use of a 3 digit code that locks on any number but only opens when the unique combination is correctly dialed.
The second is a traditional lock style featuring a normal lock and key style that comes with a number of keys and is openable and ‘operateable‘ only with the default keys – or if a spare has been made, the spare.
Most users prefer the combination lock because of its hassle free operation and the fact that there are no keys to look after and ultimately, no keys to lose.
However, other users feel that a key is foolproof and does not give an intruder/thief the chance to guess the combination hence, it presents a better option, security wise.
However, the truth is that, both systems are equally secure and the preference of one over the other should be based on personal choice and ease of use – nothing more, nothing less.
With the mounting number of theft at US airports and other mediums of public transport, it is only logical that you take the very first step to avoid being a part of the travel/transit theft statistics in the US (or elsewhere for that matter).
With this article, we have shown that you can indeed help yourself by ensuring tighter security for your luggage while in transit by the simple use of TSA approved luggage locks and Travel Sentry endorsed locking mechanisms.
As you shop for an ideal lock from the options provided above, we wish you a reality that will never mean being the victim of a theft. Any theft.
However, kindly remember that this reality can only be made possible by the active choice you make today to secure your luggage against theft when you travel.
Shop smart, stay safe 🙂
This website is an active participant in the Amazon Affiliate Program. This means each time you click through an Amazon link on this site and go ahead to make a qualifying purchase on Amazon.com (or any of its affiliated sites), we, as publishers of the site, earn a commission. Note, however, that this does NOT in any way influence the quality and reliability of the information we feature on the site, and it does NOT affect the price you will pay for any product or service. We only use the commissions earned through the program to support the site, so we can continue to provide valuable, unbiased and detailed reviews of various products and services. Honesty, afterall, remains the best policy.