Winter is coming!
…and with it, all the activities that connote challenges and the reality that you must be up and doing to get by with it successfully – and in one piece.
This could mean change of clothes (to winter gear), change of your regular car tires (to all season tires) and if you’re living in a core temperate clime, the provision of heating for your rooms.
Now, since man abandoned the old school manner of heating up houses by logs of wood (calling it archaic and unsafe), there is just one option to consider today in this regard: dedicated room heaters.
However, these heaters are large, are installed in a room (or large spaces indoors) and account for a chunk of the electricity bills, monthly.
If this is your concern so far as heating your room during the harsh winter months is concerned, you’ll be pleased to understand that there is an alternative: the portable space heater.
Capable of being moved from room to room or place to place (where it is actually needed) and consuming far less power than the conventional units, the portable space heater may just be the option and much needed alternative you may need to consider this winter.
Below, we review the top best 10 – starting at #10.
Article at a Glance
- Top 10 Best Portable Space Heaters Of 2017 Reviewed
- #10. Homegear 1500 Sq Ft Infrared Electric Portable Space Heater With Remote Control
- #9. Holmes Compact 2 Heat Settings Oscillating Ceramic Space Heater
- #8. Ivation 1500-Watt Portable Electric Space Heater
- #7. Lasko 5409 Oscillating Ceramic Tabletop/Floor Heater With Thermostat
- #6. Patton PUH680-N-U Milk-House Utility Heater
- #5. Kaz Honeywell HCE100 Heat Bud Ceramic Portable-Mini Heater
- #4. Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Radiant Heater
- #3. DeLonghi EW7507EB Oil Filled Radiator Heater
- #2. Dr Infrared Portable Space Heater
- #1. Lasko #100 MyHeat Personal Ceramic Heater
- What Is A Portable Space Heater?
- When Is The Right Time To Consider A Portable Room/Space Heater?
- How To Determine The Right Space Heater For Your Heating Needs
- What To Look Out For When Buying A Portable Space Heater
- General Safety Tips When Using Heaters At Home
- Wrap Up
Top 10 Best Portable Space Heaters Of 2017 Reviewed
#10. Homegear 1500 Sq Ft Infrared Electric Portable Space Heater With Remote Control
The challenge of many home owners today is getting heating done on a budget.
This challenge, in theory, appears easy and straightforward to overcome till one is faced with the task of heating up a large bedroom, living room or garage and the only option available is a portable space heater.
Most of the units available currently in the market today will ensure that only one or two persons are kept warm at the most whilst the rest, literally are left to the mercy of the powerful winter chills.
If you are however smart and fortunate to have the Homegear 1500 Sq Ft Infrared Electric Portable Space Heater With Remote Control, you could easily change the game and heat up a room (or space) of up to 1500 Sq. Ft. in the most brilliant and efficient manner that leaves everyone warm and importantly, your power credits barely used up.
Thanks to a plethora of settings that includes an “eco” mode that ensures that this space heater maintains temperatures in the range of 68 degrees Fahrenheit, power consumption of the unit is super reasonable (but can also be increased if more heat is desired at any given moment).
However, aside this tripartite functions of “eco”, “low” and “high” heating levels that this space heater affords users, what really endeared us to the unit is the fact that its blower fan is quiet – but damn efficient.
If the noisy blower of another model once annoyed you or you simply cannot afford to stand any sound in your room when you sleep, are in earnest conversation, when you’re working or listening to music/television, you will not be disappointed with this model.
What Makes The Homegear 1500 Sq Ft Infrared Electric Portable Space Heater With Remote Control An Awesome Portable Space Heater?
- Tripartite blower setting: “eco”, “low” and “high” modes.
- Ability to heat up to 1500 square feet.
- Overheat protection.
- Super quiet blower fan.
- LED display for easy monitoring.
- Remote control operation.
- 71 inches cable length.
- 28 lbs weight.
To see pictures, reviews, complete specs and features of the Homegear 1500 Sq Ft Infrared Electric Portable Space Heater With Remote Control, take a look at it on Amazon directly.
#9. Holmes Compact 2 Heat Settings Oscillating Ceramic Space Heater
Not everyone who is in need of a personal space heater needs something that can cover a large room or say, 1500 Sq Ft.
For some home owners, what they’re looking for is something small – and basic that can serve in a tiny space and is portable enough to easily move from room to room and can even be moved to work, or when traveling, carried along to be used at the hotel – just in case.
If these are your heating needs, come this winter, then, the Holmes Compact 2 Heat Settings Oscillating Ceramic Space Heater will be a smart choice and will, by and large, be enough to keep you warm in your room or space without burning a hole in your wallet.
Thanks to its smart design and extra-ordinary portable look, the unit looks just like a speaker detached from a very fashionable stereo and importantly, heats in an awesome manner.
For users who are not interested in loudly announcing the arrival of what they’re transporting, this heater is certain not to disappoint.
Designed with 2 heat settings that are capable of outputting 1000W and 1500W of concentrated heat respectively, this personal space heater, irrespective of its portable size, is something worth taking serious, so far as output is concerned and of the essence.
This makes the unit perfect for small rooms and spaces when its 1000W output is deployed and super ideal for a medium sized room when its 1500W output is put to function.
Its selling point however are the safety features that come standard with it especially the auto safety shut off switch and thermostat control which together, brilliantly ensure that your room is not heated above comfortable human habitation.
What Makes The Holmes Compact 2 Heat Settings Oscillating Ceramic Space Heater An Awesome Portable Space Heater?
- Super portable size that can be used anywhere and transported freely.
- Auto safety shut off.
- 2 heat settings.
- Fan blower option.
- Easy to use controls and operation buttons.
- 6″ cord.
- 4.2 lbs total weight.
To take a look at more pictures, features, product specifications and importantly, what other users are saying about this portable space heater, kindly take a look at the Holmes Compact 2 Heat Settings Oscillating Ceramic Space Heater on Amazon directly.
#8. Ivation 1500-Watt Portable Electric Space Heater
For some home owners, a portable space heater is only attractive and worthy of consideration if it most resembles the traditional fireplace in both design and actual aesthetic rendering.
Such buyers and home owners are in love with the regal and almost royal rendering of such traditional fireplaces and are interested in maintaining a piece of such regal semblance with them.
If you’re such a buyer or homeowner, the Ivation 1500-Watt Portable Electric Space Heater will be a great option when considering a portable heater for your room this winter.
However, the attractiveness of the Ivation 1500-Watt Portable Electric Space Heater does not stop at mere beauty or the personification of the regal and kingly fireplaces of old.
This portable space heater is powered by security features that the old fireplace which it is modeled after wasn’t privileged to have.
These features include a child lock inbuilt system that restricts kids and other children in your home from operating the heater without your knowledge; an overheat function that ensures that the unit never actually overheats when in use and a tip-over (that powers off the unit when it is tipped off) and a shutoff design that is controlled by thermostat and ensures that when the space heater reaches a set temperature, it automatically shut off on it own accord.
However, the main deal closers of this portable unit remain its stunning dark wood design, its intuitive and super clean LCD panel, 6 different elements that can be chosen from and the fact that the heater is completely ‘children safe’.
What Makes The Ivation 1500-Watt Portable Electric Space Heater An Awesome Portable Space Heater?
- Children friendly with the deployment of a child lock and other safety features specifically targeted at keeping kids safe when it is in use.
- Super attractive design that boasts a stunning dark wood finish.
- 6 powerful elements to choose from; heater can be also be set to maintain room temperature – consuming far less power in the process.
- Practical timer.
- Crystal clear LCD panel.
- Remote control operations.
- Exceptionally eco-friendly; a fact that results in more pocket friendly bills at the end of the month.
To take a super detailed look at the Ivation 1500-Watt Portable Electric Space Heater including more photos and actual user reviews, see its listing on Amazon directly.
#7. Lasko 5409 Oscillating Ceramic Tabletop/Floor Heater With Thermostat
The grand attraction to portable space heaters remains the actual fact that they can be moved from one place to another, usually, on demand to where heat is actually needed.
This reality makes it easy to move such heaters from one room to another and when the need arises, to transport them to places where heating is needed and currently, not provided.
This could mean the office, a hotel room or any other place where such a demand actually exists.
The most awesome attraction of these heaters in this regard is that, they can be comfortably transported to and fro any place you wish as their user and ultimately, used back at home where you desire them upon retirement from a hard day’s labor.
If such flexibility and reality means anything to you (irrespective of the fact that you have a car or not), the Lasko 5409 Oscillating Ceramic Tabletop/Floor Heater With Thermostat remains a smart option that you cannot afford to resist!
Ideal for tabletop and direct floor use, this little space heater comes with an overheating (thermostat controlled) shut off function that ensures that once it heats up to an unsafe level, the space heater turns off on its own accord – just like the regular electric pressing iron you use in your home.
This makes it safe for use in places like the bedside, the bathroom, a small office and anywhere else where you’ll appreciate personal warmth and (where) a general room heater is not close to help out.
Capable of outputting an impressive 1500 watts, this little space heater knows its job pretty well. Importantly, it offers 3 quiet settings: fan only, low and high heat – which serves according to your actual heating need of the moment.
What Makes The Lasko 5409 Oscillating Ceramic Tabletop/Floor Heater With Thermostat An Awesome Portable Space Heater?
- Automatic shutoff when it overheats.
- Portable size that can easily to carried around the home and used outside the home when/if the need warrants.
- Adjustable thermostat.
- 3 quiet settings: fan, low and high heat.
- Amazingly beautiful look.
- Great price for the value it provides.
You can see detailed features, see more pictures and read customer’s reviews of the Lasko 5409 Oscillating Ceramic Tabletop/Floor Heater With Thermostat on Amazon directly.
#6. Patton PUH680-N-U Milk-House Utility Heater
During the harsh winter months, it can be extremely frustrating working in a garage or workshop of any kind without any form of heating.
This is because, despite the fact that you’re constantly in motion and active, your very blood appear to chill and cease pumping in your veins – making it extremely difficult to achieve the task that you reported in the garage or workshop to achieve in the very first place.
When this happens, you can only curse yourself, curse the weather and sometimes, wonder if the winter will ever abate so that you can go on with the work you so love cherish and must do.
If the above describes what you go through during the winter (or are expecting come this winter in your workshop or garage), then the Patton PUH680-N-U Milk-House Utility Heater will certainly be an awesome and smart option for you.
Especially designed for environments where a rugged heater is appreciated, this portable space heater comes with an all metal housing casing and an engineering that especially shows its reinforced industrial construction, perfect for workplaces where cool air and ventilation is needed (besides ordinary heat circulation).
Aside the outwardly rugged construction of the heater, it is also powered by interesting safety features that make it worthy of a busy workplace – no matter how absent-minded or careless the users of such a workplace may be.
One of such features is the auto shut off function that works when the unit is tipped over and danger looms – if nothing is done in an express manner to avert it.
Aside this feature, the unit itself is designed with a series of front guards that serve to protect the heater in case of a tip off – that would ordinarily, have resulted in a damage were the unit to be without such a forethought option.
For ultimate comfort and ruggedness, nothing beats this portable heating unit, especially when you’re thinking of heating up an industrial workplace.
What Makes The Patton PUH680-N-U Milk-House Utility Heater An Awesome Portable Space Heater?
- Manufactured in a super durable manner and fitting for use in ‘rugged’ places like the garage or workroom.
- Auto trip off function that ensures the unit powers off when tripped.
- Front sturdy guard rails that protect the unit should it fall.
- Low and high setting that gives users the option to pick out a heating level that best serves.
- Automatic thermostat for general temperature regulation. This ensures that the unit does not keep operating over or under your desired level.
- Rugged and mean look for those who really appreciate durable things that are made to last.
To see the details of this rugged fan forced air portable space heater together with its reviews and pictures, take a peep at Amazon directly.
#5. Kaz Honeywell HCE100 Heat Bud Ceramic Portable-Mini Heater
When the winter strikes, there are many personal spaces that conventional heating doesn’t usually get to or worse, rooms or workplaces that are completely devoid of heating and could use a small mobile heater that can easily be moved in and out on actual demand.
Such spaces include the small cubicle of a bank staff, the computer table of an active assistant or the cold recesses of an office desk where it is usually as cold as can be.
If you need a heater to tackle the heating of such places (especially, if you share the space and would not want to go on warming other occupants of your shared space without their express consent), few options beat the extremely portable, handy and beautiful portable space heater, the Kaz Honeywell HCE100 Heat Bud Ceramic Portable-Mini Heater.
Without mincing words and wasting your precious time in the process, this ceramic portable mini heater is a true personal heater and absolutely ‘mini’ in the truest sense of the word.
What this means is simple and quite straightforward: this ceramic heater is meant to to keep only one person warm at a time and in this, it truly excels.
Thanks to an awesome design that almost looks decorative, this piece of tech is an awesome option for small places that could also benefit from some aesthetic flavor.
However, what closes the deal for this personal space heater is the fact that it is super cheap, is powered by a trip-over protection and thanks to the fact that it outputs only 250 Watts, is also super eco/power bill friendly.
What Makes The Kaz Honeywell HCE100 Heat Bud Ceramic Portable-Mini Heater An Awesome Portable Space Heater?
- Super portable size that can be moved from place to place at will – everyday if the occasion calls for it.
- Compact size also ensures that the heater fits into any space that needs warming up.
- Tip over switch that ensures that in case of a tip over, the unit powers off on its own accord – and in an instant manner.
- Cool touch housing that makes it completely safe to touch the heater – even if it has been working for hours.
- Caution light to alert you when the heater is turned on.
- Two setting modes to fit your actual heating needs.
- Super power efficient and bill friendly at only 150 watts maximum output.
There are many other features, pictures and specifications that we cannot all list or explain here. These and other vital information like the reviews of this unit can be found on the direct product listing of this heater on Amazon.
You should take a look.
#4. Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Radiant Heater
When portable space heaters are mentioned or discussed, the general feeling or belief amongst readers and the image this conjures up in the heads of would-be-users is the reality of a cozy, electricity powered unit that works with the grid; a unit one can easily deploy using the home or office power socket.
However, sometimes, heating is required in a place that is not served by the grid.
Such places as mountain tops, camps or hikes are famously undertaken without the presence of any current bearing wire serving such a location.
Sometimes too, though the grid may be present (and one still within sane society), a natural disaster such as the recent Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria completely plunges one in total darkness – without any source of power.
When one is in such a situation (whether by choice or by accident), an alternative to the normal grid powered portable heating solutions powered by electricity are no longer an option that should be considered or one that is viable.
This leaves one with an alternative option such as the Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Radiant Heater that is powered by propane (as against electricity).
Portable in size and with a retractable handle that makes it a perfect option for hikes, camps and all manner of outdoor recreational uses, this portable heater also doubles as ‘room safe’ – meaning that it can (actually) be used outdoors as well as indoors without any challenge to heath – neither will it constitute a safety hazard when used in an exclusive manner indoors.
Capable of heating spaces up to 225 Sq. Ft., this unit is completely powered by propane – and can be used in wild instances (such as more than 5,000 feet above sea level) and in cozy and comfortable moments (such as when you desires some extra warmth in your bedroom or working space).
Made in a rugged and durable manner, the deal closer of this heater remains the fact that it is powered by propane and possess a plethora of safety features that include an auto trip-off function that is activated when the unit is in operation and is tripped off by accident.
What Makes The Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Radiant Heater An Awesome Portable Space Heater?
- Propane powered: the heater can accordingly be used anywhere in the world heat is required and propane is available.
- Safety shut-off function that activates when the unit is accidentally tripped off.
- Fold down handle that makes the unit more portable/easy to to carry and move about.
- Completely safe for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Two heat settings that dispel heat according to your preferred setting and actual heat needs.
The Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Radiant Heater has so many other features and pictures that will help educate you better about the unit and importantly, why you should consider it, especially, if you’re into the outdoor lifestyle or, if you generally love options.
More details of this portable propane space heater, of course, can be found directly on the product listing page of the unit on Amazon.
#3. DeLonghi EW7507EB Oil Filled Radiator Heater
Sometimes, you may need to heat up either a medium or large room during the winter months so as to dispel off the extreme cold such a room may possess. The ensuring warmth, certainly, will make such a room or closed space easier and more comfortable to work in.
Such rooms include a home library, living rooms and medium to large bedrooms.
For such medium-large enclosed spaces, the DeLonghi EW7507EB Oil Filled Radiator Heater remains one of the smartest and best options today – thanks to its astute technology and smart efficiency at dispelling cold, especially in places that are medium-large and beyond the heating capacity of the other (smaller) space heaters mentioned here.
Capable of outputting up to 1500 Watts of power, this portable space heater heats in a super silent manner and is ideal for rooms and other enclosed spaces that need constant, steady heat.
Thanks to its timer and thermostat, the unit regulates temperature according to the wishes of its operator and overall, is capable of maintaining two different heating sessions (one for the day and another for the night) when the demand calls for it.
Thanks also to the patented thermal slots of the heater, heat is maximized yet, the overall surface temperature of the heater remains pretty cool – ensuring overall safety that is quite important especially where kids and pets are involved.
However, the closing deals for this piece of technology remains its ability to monitor and control climate electronically so that your preferred temperature is maintained all through the day and night – for as long as the unit is powered on and working.
What Makes The DeLonghi EW7507EB Oil Filled Radiator Heater An Awesome Portable Space Heater?
- 1500 watts of silent, heating power.
- Permanently sealed oil reservoir that needs no refilling (or even opening for that matter).
- 24 hour timer that can be deployed to offer different heating needs during the day and night.
- Smart-snap wheels that aid with movement, positioning and storage.
- Electronic climate control that automatically monitors and selects the ideal power setting to maintain your chosen temperature.
- Thermal cutoff and anti-freeze setting to help prevent freezing pipes.
If you’re interested in taking a detailed and interested look at the DeLonghi EW7507EB Oil Filled Radiator Heater, kindly proceed here to Amazon directly.
#2. Dr Infrared Portable Space Heater
The combination of an awesome heater that is smart and powerful enough to heat up your entire (medium-large) room and also friendly when the power bill is presented at the end of the month is quite rare.
This ultimately leaves homeowners who desire heating forced to choose between a heater that actually heats up the space it is intended to heat in an awesome and super impressive manner or one that barely manages to keep up to the task of heating so that the bill, at the end of the month, would be friendly – and importantly, affordable.
For most middle class families or individuals starting out or those who are weighed down with other responsibilities, opting for either is a tough and intimidating challenge.
As a matter of fact, deciding for all makes a ton more sense and for many families or individuals looking for a space heater, this is the logical and often threaded path.
If the above explains the tight fix you’re in or your family is in, the Dr Infrared Portable Space Heater is an option that will ultimately put smiles on your face and ensure that though your room heats adequately and in an ultimately satisfactory manner, your bills typically remain half of what other space heaters will ensure when you use them.
Capable of delivering about 60% more heat than other 1500 watts heaters and still capable of ensuring that your energy bills remain half of what using other heaters ensures, the manufacturers of this space heater, have in our professional estimation, brilliantly mastered the very science of heat generation and transfer to the ultimate benefit of their customers and the many thousands that rely on their heaters day in, day out.
Aside the perfection of heat generation and ultimately, transfer, the Dr Infrared portable space heater features a brilliant, quiet and efficient blower that is so quiet that one will hardly ever notice when its on.
This 7 inch blower also generates higher pressure and easily moves larger air volume at a lower speed without any of the noise the common brands available in the market ensure.
This makes the personal heater ideal for use when quietness is preferred or in the bedroom when one is sleeping and would not appreciate any disturbance, no matter how slight.
However, all these aside, the ultimate deal closer for this heater that makes it worthy of your time, energy and ultimately, money is the fact that its infrared technology ensures that everything in the room where it is placed is heated in a subtle, smart and efficient manner – not just the plain, surrounding air.
The result of such a comprehensive approach to heating is that, one cannot experience heat one moment and on moving to another area of the room and using, say the table (from the bed) experience that the table is cold (whilst the bed was warm only a few seconds ago).
If this is not the height of heating technology and some dare devil badassry, we sincerely do not know what it is 🙂
What Makes The Dr Infrared Portable Space Heater An Awesome Portable Space Heater?
- Superior ability to heat not only the air but also the items in the closed space or room where it is operated.
- Long lifetime with over 80,000 hours guaranteed.
- Delivers 60% more power than other similar heaters in its category and consumes only about half of the power similar units consume.
- Remote control function.
- Perfect for use in areas that other portable heaters have hitherto failed to comprehensively cover.
- Timer setting.
- ‘High’ or ‘low’ functions that allow the user to set the heating according to personal taste or actual heating needs.
- Super quiet and efficient blower fan action that does not interfere with the activities of users.
It is not for nothing that this portable space heater makes it at our coveted #2 position.
If you’ll love to take a look (as you should) and consequently, see more pictures and read reviews of other users who have purchased this heater in the past and are using it presently, do so directly by visiting the Dr Infrared Portable Space Heater’s product listing on Amazon here.
#1. Lasko #100 MyHeat Personal Ceramic Heater
Not everyone needs heating for an entire room or even space for that matter.
As a matter of fact, when Americans (and citizens of other countries where the winter is usually harsh) think of personal space heaters, what comes to their minds is actually a portable heater that they could deploy to personally escape the harsh cold where a conventional heater is not available or where it proves grossly insufficient to keep the cold at bay.
Aside the reality of conventional heating being unavailable or proving grossly insufficient, Americans also consider personal space heaters when they’re looking to lower their household power bills and are looking for smart alternatives that work – but do not mount bills like the traditional options.
This is where our very best #1 option, the Lasko #100 MyHeat Personal Ceramic Heater comes in.
If you’re wondering how something so small and personal managed to make the number 1 spot, the answer is not far fetched: this size is the most demanded and this model is the best amongst other portable heaters of this category.
It’s truly that simple and straightforward 🙂
Engineered in an extremely portable manner that can easily get fitted in a backpack, this personal space heater ultimately redefined what it the word personal meant in the name of these heater types.
Specifically designed to warm just you and not the entire room, this piece of technology is extremely affordable and uses power in the most sensitive of manners – a fact that you’ll truly understand and have it registered in your brain when you receive your first power bill after you begin using it (thanks to its smart energy requirement of only 200 watts – as against 1500 watts of similar, competing options).
Featuring a plastic casing that always remains cool to the touch (no matter how long the heater has been operating), this unit is also completely safe for use both by kids and adults alike.
Its most important attractions however remain its 3 year warranty and the clear and undisputed fact that it is E.T.L. listed.
Now, who dares puts a 3 year warranty on an inferior product?
Or, do substandard, less than ideal products ever get listed by the E.T.L?
What Makes The Lasko #100 MyHeat Personal Ceramic Heater An Awesome Portable Space Heater?
- Focuses heat exclusively to the person using it and not to the room generally; this way, heat is preserved and not wasted on where it is not required.
- Super portable size that can be taken from room and to the office or business premises and back, daily – and without hassles or challenges.
- 200 Watts power consumption that ensures that your energy bill remains well within sane boundaries.
- 3 year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Warm plastic casing that ensures that the heat generated by this heater does not pose any challenge to users, children or pets.
- E.T.L listed.
It is not for nothing that the Lasko #100 MyHeat Personal Ceramic Heater has made it to our #1 spot as the best portable space heater of choice.
However, we cannot fully do justice to this awesome and super impressive portable heater here, no matter how much we try.
If you’re truly interested in opting for the very best so far as personal heating is concerned this winter, are bothered about your energy bills and would love something that is truly portable, you should definitely take a look at the Lasko #100 MyHeat Personal Ceramic Heater on Amazon.
What Is A Portable Space Heater?
A portable space heater is a small-medium heating piece of tech that is capable of generating heat and deflecting same to persons or the room (or enclosed area) where it is stationed.
When operated and used actively, a portable space heater has the unique ability of being able of keep one warm especially during the winter months.
Generally, a portable space heater is powered by electricity; however, some models today work with traditional coal or the more ‘advanced’ fuel type, propane.
Such models that deploy alternative fuels such as propane and coal can brilliantly be used in places that are off the grid or when emergencies (such as hurricanes or tsunamis) strike and the grid is no longer a viable option so far as heating is concerned.
When Is The Right Time To Consider A Portable Room/Space Heater?
There are many instances that make you understand when it is the right time to consider a portable room/space heater.
Enumerated below are such instances:
- When you do not have normal heating in an apartment and the winter months are around.
- When you have regular heating in your room but are often intimidated by the enormous bills that plaque you when you use it.
- When you want to use heating for a small space that only you occupy (instead of heating the entire room/building).
- When you’re interested in heating up places that are not normally equipped with heating (such as the kitchen, basement, garage or bathroom.
- When you’re outdoors enjoying nature and would need to spend the night outside – without the benefit of regular electricity from the grid.
- When a natural disaster like a hurricane strikes and you’re left without any means of keeping warm in the cold months of winter.
- When its not yet winter but you’re feeling sick and would appreciate warmer conditions as you recuperate and get back on your very own feet.
- Any other instance where you are certain that only a portable heating source will suffice and do the heating task for either you or your family in the smartest and easiest of ways.
These are the instances where you’re likely to need a heater of the portable space variant for your heating needs.
If you were hitherto confused, the 8 points enumerated above should clear you in an awesome manner and importantly, put you in the light so far as portable home heating is concerned.
Let’s now take a look at the various type of technologies (that power portable space heaters) and where exactly they work best or are encouraged to be used for best results.
How To Determine The Right Space Heater For Your Heating Needs
If you’re new to the concept of portable space heaters, it is likely that you’ll be faced with challenges picking the right option for your heating needs – especially as relates to the technology that powers such heaters.
The guide below is meant to help you clarify this mist and importantly, put things right into perspective.
Please Note However That:
This is a snappy guide to help you decide which type of portable space heater will serve you in the long run in the most brilliant and satisfactory of manners, all other things being equal.
Note however that, any manner of heater, deploying just any technology, will still serve for any purpose provided it is big enough and its heat consistent and persistent (enough) to power the closed space or room in question.
Be thus accordingly guided.
Now, here are the technologies powering the various portable space heaters and what closed spaces/room types such technologies are most ideal for.
1. Fan Forced Space Heaters
These types of space heaters deploy heat to you and your immediate surroundings by means of a fan blade blowing air across a hot wire element.
The resulting heat from these type of space heaters is generally soft and makes a room feel cozy and extremely comfortable.
Portable space heater that deploy the fan forced technology are perfect or ideal for use in small rooms (such as bathrooms or cubicle office spaces).
2. Ceramic Space Heaters
Portable space heaters that work their wonders by means of ceramic technology work in this fashion: a fan blade (or blades) rotate(s) behind a PTC heating element and pushes hot air out as it consciously works.
Rooms that are operated with such heaters experience a medium intensity of heat that is generally focused – ensuring that very cold temperatures are dispelled quickly, especially when used in small rooms.
However, this technology and the space heaters that deploy it are perfect for medium-large rooms, often accommodating more than one person at a time.
3. Radiant Quartz Space Heaters
Portable space heaters of this variant work by exposing glowing tubes with metal reflector sheet(s). This gives the appearance of an actual traditional/ancient fireplace if one is opportune to take a look at its actual workings.
The heating that such portable space heaters provide is usually high-intensity and posses a sun-like warmth that is akin to exposing one’s self to the early morning sun that usually claims the overnight dew from the trees and leaves.
Usually, such powerful and effective heating is perfect (and used primarily) for large living areas and basements where the heat is actually needed and has a large expanse in which to ‘operate’.
4. Micathermic Space Heaters
Portable heaters that deploy the Micathermic technology work by using convection and reflective heat for immediate warmth to the area where they are powered to serve.
The result, however, is a gentle wave of heat that flows from the heat outlets of the heater and gently circulates around the place where the heater is meant to serve.
Portable room heaters that are powered by Micathermic technology are perfect and brilliantly serve large living rooms and king/queen sized bedrooms awsomely.
5. Console Space Heaters
Portable heaters that deploy the console technology to heat up spaces where they are positioned to heat work by means of enclosed glowing tubes that are incorporated with metal sheet and a fan that pushes generated heat into the room or space that is to be heated.
The resulting heat from such heaters is of the medium intensity variants and powers the space of room where it is placed in an even and overall fashion.
The medium intensity heat such heaters produce is in turn awesome for large living rooms, basements and garages.
What To Look Out For When Buying A Portable Space Heater
With more than 100 competing brands and thousands of models both online and off, it is very difficult getting the exact model and brand that will serve you both in the long and short run.
Think of picking out a pebble right on the sands of the beach on a hot Sunday afternoon 🙂
However, with the smart tips we’re going to share below, the whole task will be as simple and as straightforward as can be.
You’d be right to consider this a mini-buyer’s guide that will expose you to what to look out for when you decide to finally go shopping for this little piece of heating technology.
Kindly note however that all the 10 models featured here comply with the criteria listed below as we have already done all the hard work for you.
If you’re thus going with any of our suggestions here (which you should, by the way), there is no further need to bother with the guidelines below.
However, in the event that you’re looking for an option that is not mentioned here (or are looking at another heater model that has caught your attention – and you would love to give it a try), kindly go ahead…but do not forget the guidelines below:
- While most portable heaters are as a matter of fact cheap, some are not. Look thus for a brand/model with a great warranty period.
- Safety should be paramount for any heater that you decide to invest money on. Look for options such as an always cool body, auto switch off, auto trip off (in the event of a fall) etc. Make certain your chosen model/brand is safe.
- The joy of a portable space heater is its portability. Never compromise this for anything.
- Because of the portable size of such heaters, it is important that they are also aesthetically pleasing so that they can, in addition to heating, also serve decorative purposes if the need calls for it.
- A heater with a fan option is a smart option. Opt for models that are so designed.
- Finally, ensure that the model or brand that you finally decide on is power efficient and has various settings that can be adjusted according to your actual need at the moment.
If you take careful note of these tips and ensure that you do not ignore them, you’ll do just fine – irrespective of the brand or model that you choose to buy and use at the end.
General Safety Tips When Using Heaters At Home
Like pressing irons, portable heaters produce heat (on a much larger and concentrated basis).
This makes them particularly harmful and exceedingly dangerous if not properly used and handled with care.
To ensure that you get the most of your heater and avoid all accidents that may cause injury to the body or occasion the destruction of property, these tips are advised.
First, never place the heater too close to your body – no matter its inbuilt safety protections.
In as much as these safety precautions are there, over reliance should not be placed on them – as an accident can still happen.
Second, personal space heaters should not be left alone – no matter what.
As an extension to this point, space heaters of the portable variant should not also be left in the company of kids or at the mercy of pets – no matter the safety in-builds that such a unit comes with.
The safety in-builds, remember, can fail or work in an unintended manner without any prior notice.
If the unit is left unattended to or in the company of pets or care of kids, this could prove quite disastrous and may wind up causing severe injury or even death.
Third, portable heaters should never be exposed to cold conditions, rain or snow.
Doing so may compromise some electrical components or cables and cause the unit to malfunction or work in a manner that is completely unexpected or unintended.
Fourth, nothing should be placed on the heater while it is in use or immediately after use.
This is especially true of flammable items like papers, magazines, clothes or any other thing that can either catch fire or at the very least, transmit heat.
Finally, never operate a faulty space heater or one that has slipped off your hand and landed right in the water or on a hard surface.
Operating such a heater may open the way wide to a shock, spark or an accident that may prove exceedingly dangerous for you – and anyone who happens to be close at the time.
It is advised therefore that, if any portable heater slips and falls in a manner that is hard enough to compromise it, it should be referred back to a qualified service professional so that it will be ascertained okay before being used again.
This advice should be followed even if the unit appears perfect and completely without compromise (upon such a fall).
We must acknowledge that this post is super detailed and a bit lengthy.
A smart closing will thus, properly be in order.
However, at the present length of the article, it is only smart that we offer a recap of the major portable space heaters and instances where they’ll make a perfect fit for use by you.
- The Lasko #100 MyHeat Personal Ceramic Heater is super perfect for buyers who are looking forward to heating just their own personal space and not an entire room. If absolute portability is an issue too, you’ll certainly find joy (and service) with this unit.
- If you’re looking for powerful heating for your entire room (medium – large) and would appreciate fair power bills at the end of the month, the Dr Infrared Portable Space Heater is a perfect fit.
- For readers who are interested in constant heat (on a steady basis) in a medium – large room during the winter, the DeLonghi EW7507EB Oil Filled Radiator Heater will do an amazing job.
- For heat seekers who desire that heat outdoors or where the grid does not serve, the best option remains the propane powered Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Radiant Heater.
- If you’re looking forward to a personal heater that is super portable, can be taken from room to room; from the house to the office daily and a unit that can serve as decoration too when used, go with the Honeywell HCE100 Heat Bud Ceramic Portable-Mini Heater.
- If you’re looking for something to keep you warm during the harsh winter months as you work either in your garage or workshop, few options actually beat the Patton PUH680-N-U Milk-House Utility Heater.
- For the best option and blend when portability and actual reach and circulation of heat produced are an issue, the Lasko 5409 Oscillating Ceramic Tabletop/Floor Heater With Thermostat is certainly the heater of choice; one that you cannot go wrong with.
- For those looking for a semi-mobile option that resembles the fireplaces of old, few options compare to the Ivation 1500-Watt Portable Electric Space Heater.
- Very few heaters ever manage the bridge the gap between beauty and (powerful) function. If such models are what you’re actually looking for, none actually compares to the Holmes Compact 2 Heat Settings Oscillating Ceramic Space Heater.
- Finally, if you’re considering something large, are on a budget and would appreciate if your heater serves the whole family, the Homegear 1500 Sq Ft Infrared Electric Portable Space Heater With Remote Control is the clear option for you.
In as much as we would have loved to keep on with this piece, we must now bid you farewell 🙂
Happy shopping and do have a very warm winter!